IE 4.01 Service Pack 2

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Thu Mar 18 18:11:30 EST 1999

Anyone still on the IE 4 standard may be interested in some recent tips on the
NT Registry Hacks site (http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm).

#1137 mentions the NoFileURL key, which prevents patrons from running programs
from the address bar.  (We've already disabled this with NTFS permissions.)

The interesting news is at #1147, which discusses Service Pack 2.  I have not
yet succeeded in downloading it, but some of the interesting features include:

NoFileOpen          Disables Open command on File Menu, Ctrl-O and Ctrl-L

(It's not clear if the new NoToolbarOptions would prevent them from bringing
back the address bar if you've turned it off, but this might be a way around
using the proxy settings.)

NoBrowserSaveAs     Disables Save and Save As on the File Menu

NoBrowserOptions    Disables Internet Options

(May also be done by blocking the inetcpl.cpl control panel)

NoSelectDownloadDir allows saving to a preset directory, but doesn't show Save
As dialog.

Hope this helps someone.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org