Net PCs and Thin Clients for OPAC Access

Christopher Stewart stewart at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Wed Mar 17 11:53:24 EST 1999

We are planning for the migration of our OPACs from terminals to a
web-based
PC interface (probably about 15 nodes).  Only the web catalog will be
accessed on the client -- no other electronic products, no access to the

rest of the web.  Does anyone have experience in using a thin client
solution for this application -- specifically a product like HP's
NetVectra
GT310?

Beth Mazin, Assistant Director
Memorial Hall Library
Elm Square, Andover, MA  01810
Voice:  978-623-8401 x 33
Fax:  978-623-8407
Email:  bmazin at mhl.org
www.mhl.org

Last Fall, we installed a CITRIX Metaframe server running on NT Terminal
Server. The server is accessed by a small cluster
of WYSE 1540 thin clients (cost: $600). It has been an excellent
solution. All of our resources, including our OPAC and
several Intranet resources, are Web integrated, and we were looking for
an alternative to cost heavy PCs in our public areas.

Metaframe and Terminal server are true network centric (NOT
client-server) solutions. The thin clients (and I should add here
that older PCs and Macs can easily be converted into thin clients)
operate as Windows terminals. All processing occurs on the
server, the only information passed between the two being key strokes,
mouse clicks, and screen paints. Bandwidth is
economized, security is greatly improved, and client management is
simplified.

Our thin clients boot directly into a Web browser and stay there,
sharing the application from the server. Helper programs such
as terminal emulators and Web plug-ins such as the Acrobat reader run
from the server as well. The OS, of course, is NT. Thin
clients can be "locked" into one or many programs, called "published
applications" in the NT Terminal Server lexicon.

Two considerations, however. First, you need a fairly robust server, and
it must be made more robust as you add connected
devices. Various benchmarks have placed the necessary RAM anywhere from
4 to 8 MB per client and one processor per 40
to 50 clients. Second, the server-side technology can be complex. Staff
to manage is will need to be proficient in NT Server as
well as Metaframe. There are professional training opportunities in both
platforms.

Good luck.

--
Christopher Stewart