Use of Metadata in Public Libraries

Malabika Das df189 at freenet.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 15 22:54:08 EST 1999

** This message is being forwarded to several listserves.  We apologize in advance
for any cross posting. **

Hello everyone:

We are researching public libraries' use of metadata.  To help us understand the
current situation, we  were wondering if any other public libraries have taken the
time to implement some of the current  metadata standards (e.g., Dublin Core, RDF,
TEI, etc.)  As we search for information,  we would appreciate it if you could take
a few moments to answer our brief questionnaire below.  Please send your responses
directly either to mdas at queenslibrary.org or jjacobs at queenslibrary.org .  We will
summarize all responses received and post them to the list.

Regards,

Malabika and Jane

*********************************
Malabika Das
Web Administrator

Jane Jacobs
Database Manager

Queens Borough Public Library
Jamaica, NY  11432

** Please note that we are conducting this research on our own behalf.  Our survey
does not necessarily reflect the position of the Queens Borough Public Library.

-- Questionnaire on Metadata --

1.   Is your library creating/supplying metadata in any of the following
applications
(please respond yes or no to as many that apply)?

   A.  Databases:
        1) Online Public Access Catalog
        2) Archival Materials or Special Collections (such as slide collections)
        3) Other (please specify)

   B.  Website
        1) Intranet
        2) Public website
        3) Other (please specify)

2.  If you answered yes to any of the above, what metadata standard are you using?

      A) Dublin Core
      B) Other (Please specify)

3.  Are you using metadata created or supplied by other institutions in any of the
following applications?

     A) Selecting websites
     B) Cataloging websites
     C) Other (Please specify)

4.  If you are using metadata is it readily available?  What percentage of sites
examined supply it?