[WEB4LIB] RE: My favourite (favorite) library home page

Holly Gordon hgordon at tsl.state.tx.us
Mon Mar 15 13:05:25 EST 1999

As far as equipment is concerned, the higher the refresh rate both the
monitor and video card are capable of, the better.  You want to cut out
the flicker as much as possible.  I am running at 75.7KHz/120Hz, which
is wonderful for me.  If the first number falls below 60, I can see the
flicker.  One of these numbers is refresh, and one indicates something
else--and right now I can't remember what.

Good video cards are not all that expensive, really.  I have also found
that often I have to go to the website for a video card to get the
proper software to run a particular monitor to the best of its ability.
So there are really 3 parts to this problem.

Other than hardware/software issues--avoid bright colors in your
settings and webpages, even white.  Gray is best, and the muted, pastel
colors are easiest on the head.  Anything that flashes is, quite
frankly, painful.  I am the only person on this staff of 300 people that
has such a severe problem, so it is not too common.  However, when
people discovered that I could see the flicker (which most people can't
see), people who were suffering from headaches and migraines asked me to
check out their systems, and I did find improvements I could make.
People here have noticed the difference.

If you want more info, I'll be glad to send you sites and citations--

Holly Gordon
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Austin, Texas USA
hgordon at tsl.state.tx.us