[WEB4LIB] Purchasing a server for a small library

Phillip Whitford pwhitford at braswelllib.org
Fri Mar 5 15:15:04 EST 1999

I agree with all of what James Klock wrote in response to this question,
there are big differences between servers and plain PCs and when buying a
server you want to get a machine that is up to the task.  But sometimes
there is just not enough money to buy a server from Dell, HP, etc.  For our
small library we have had good luck in using two servers put together for us
by a local vendor and they were cheaper and just as reliable as any product
from one of the big companies. (We also have two servers made by DEC). The
trick is finding a local vendor you can trust that will work with you and in
educating yourself in the technical aspects of a server (like those
mentioned in James Klock's message).  What you lack in budget you have to
make up for in personal knowledge.  If we have the budget we do use a name
brand piece of network iron, but we are comfortable using clones if we have
to.