[WEB4LIB] Library Name in URL

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Fri Mar 5 13:24:12 EST 1999

At 9:39 AM -0800 3/5/1999, Howard HH HUME wrote:
> Our URL for our web pages seems too difficult to remember
> for some of our users.
>
> http://www.ndu.edu/ndu/library/library.html
>
> We'd like to use something like:
>
> http://library.ndu.edu/
>
> Do we have to register this domain name or is there simplier
> way to establish this name since our parent organization
> already owns "www.ndu.edu"?  Unfortunately, the answer of
> talking to our Information Management people only works when
> you know the answer in advance.

Good news!  What you're talking about is a "host name" (the library
part) rather than a "domain name" (the ndu.edu part).   The person in
charge of your router can make an entry for that host: every request
for that host will go to your web pages.  It's called "virtual
hosting" and almost every server and browser around supports it.

Avi