[WEB4LIB] Re: underlining on or off on public web stations

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Fri Mar 5 10:05:26 EST 1999

>>Underlining links is a standard on the web, and something that most
>>users are thoroughly familiar with.
>
>I'd like to correct a bit of terminology here which most people
>in this discussion seem to be using.
>
>Underlining is a standard in web browsers, not "on the web."  It is a

My interpretation of "Underlining links is a standard on the web" is
exactly what you were saying, I didn't think they were talking about
underlining as part of the HTML markup (especially since the discussion
began with, and I paraphrase, "I turn underlining off on my machines").

>If designers would stop using email addresses, file names, and other
>linkages with underscores in them, then leaving the browser's default

If underlining is not part of the HTML markup, if it is the browser that
does the underlining, then how can designers stop using email address and
other linkages with underscores in them?  Or am I misinterpreting what you
are saying?

>the underscore?  And if the same designers would not make links the
>same color as other text, the problem would not be so apparent.

A(wo)men!  I really dislike those that code their pages such that links and
regular text are the same color.  Now most rules are meant to be broken,
but you have to break them carefully and most people don't.

TTFN,
David Merchant
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
   http://www.latech.edu/tech/library/
javascript list administrator:
   http://www.mountaindragon.com/javascript
HTML Examples webmaster: