[WEB4LIB] Fw: Internet management software

David Borchardt davidb at cstone.net
Wed Jun 30 12:37:47 EDT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Scarbrough <steves at mwfls.org>
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 11:11 AM
>: I am investigating software that is available to help us manage our
Internet computers.
>:
>: I am interested in software that has the following features:
>:
>: 1.  Timer (to control amounts of time patrons can stay on)
>: 2.  Patron authentication (to be able to deny access to individuals who
either have been give the boot or don't have parental permission)
>: 3.  Reporting features (to make it easier to tally up how much time is
spent on our Internet machines)
>: 4.  Security features would be nice because then maybe we could dump
something we already have (like Fortres) because we wouldn't need
duplication. (This is not mandatory. It just would be nice.)

>: I know about WinU, CybraryN, and WinSuite.  Do you know about any other
software products out there?
>:
>: Thanks for any info you can provide.
>:
>: Connie
>: ---------

Steve,

Your request almost sounds like I set it up.  Please allow me to introduce
you to Invortex Technologies' software program - Public Access Manager
(PAM) - which will address all of your needs.  PAM was developed
specifically for schools and libraries to help reduce the high total cost of
ownership (TCO) of publicly placed PCs.  In a single application, PAM offers
Policy-Based Security, Permission-Based Management, User/System Reporting,
and HTML menu builder.  This translates to: security of your operating
system and applications; the ability to control session time; control over
printing (set print limits or utilize the included complete print vending
solution); ability to require patron logon utilizing an existing patron data
base; URL restriction for terminals dedicated to web cat or databases; an
automatic shutdown feature for the end of the day, and more.  These
features, at the discretion of the system administrator, may be easily
implemented and managed across a network or on individual PCs.

Below you will find a more detailed list of PAM’s features.  Please call or
e-mail me and I will be happy to send you our CD, Administrator’s Manual,
and literature for a free thirty-day timed evaluation.  I look forward to
hearing from you.

Best Regards,

David C. Borchardt, V.P. of Sales & Marketing
INVORTEX Technologies, Inc.
(804) 975-3021
davidb at invortex.com

***********************************

PAM's list of core features includes the following:

Policy-Based Security

*Independently apply and manage a range of custom system policies without
the hassle of using the Systems Policy Editor, on two classes of user -
Members (Staff), and Guests (Patrons/Students).
*Easily designate available drive letters and other local or network
resources.
*Lockout Control Panels, Start button, and standardize the desktop.
*Control Visual Basic editor in Microsoft Office products
*Easily install new software titles

Usage-Based Management

*Set PC session Time Limits (Librarians can’t afford to play "Time Cop")
*Set Printing Limits or sell prepaid printing privilege cards
*Control the number of logons during a specified period (easily changed to
accommodate slower or busier periods).
*Optionally require Patron/Student logon using existing ID number.
*Automatically shut down all PCs at the end of the day.
*Optionally place URL restriction on PAC terminals or those designated for
specialized data bases (to prevent Internet browsing).
*Restrict users to an approved list of software titles.
*Easy network setup, peer-to-peer, or stand alone. PAM's 'Export' properties
greatly simplifies setup across a network.
*Set browser to automatically 'Return Home' after a specified period of
inactivity.

User/System reporting

*Activity Log showing user statistics and system error messages may be
centrally located for all PCs on the network (data mining services
available).
*Shows for each PC what applications were launched, for how long, and, when
the accounts logon data base is utilized, by whom.

Open standard HTML menu builder interface

* intranet templates included, customization available