[WEB4LIB] To disclaimer or not to disclaimer?

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Jun 29 11:39:38 EDT 1999

Denise,

I would call this a "legal" response but not legal advice!
:)

Before you start putting anything on the page that sounds like "legalese", I
would contact whoever in the organization is responsible for handling legal
issues at the library.  They can probably advise you whether such a disclaimer
is necessary and if so, what the actual wording should be.  It probably isn't a
good idea to draft your own legal statement because, although it might look
legal, unless the lawyers have had their hands on it, it probably isn't.

[Which might be another arguement why you wouldn't want to do it -- letting
lawyers getting their hands on your web page -- you'll have a page-and-a-half of
disclaimers appear before your patrons see any library info.!]

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI