all in one search engines and search techniques

Andrea Mandel mandel at voicenet.com
Mon Jun 28 18:49:17 EDT 1999

At our library we are trying to assist in enabling our patrons to me
more independent when using the computer.  We try to offer as many
handouts as possible to enable them to reach their goals most
effectively.  Since most of the search engines differ as to how to form
booleans, etc (many better at differing searches!) - is there any site
that offers characteristics of each that we may use to pass on to our
patrons?  Also, I use both Metacrawler and Dogpile if I am having
trouble finding something with the traditional search engines.  I have
found them to be inconsistant often not even giving me sites remotely
related to my search terms.  Is there better "all-in-ones"?

Thank you,

Andrea Mandel
Librarian
Marple Public Library