[WEB4LIB] Public web-based e-mail and library liability

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Jun 25 11:24:12 EDT 1999

I know of a case of credit card fraud which involved the use of a web
mail client in a library and the authorities did not hold the library
liable.  This may vary from case to case and whom ever is in charge of
investigating it.  It was traced back to a library IP address.  I don't
think that the web mail provider was even implicated in any way in this
case.

Thomas

"Megan M. Isely" wrote:

> Our library is considering changing their policy and allowing the use of
> web-based email at our public Internet workstations.  However, our
> network guru is concerned about library liability: he thinks that if
> some patron accesses their hotmail account from our workstation and does
> things they are not supposed to do (like send spam or send a threat to
> the US President) that action will be traced back to the library's IP
> address and the library will be liable for this patron's action.  I
> think that hotmail will be the liable party because they are providing
> the account; where the person is accessing their account does not come
> into play.
>
> Neither of us are attorneys and our library needs to solve this issue.
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find some concrete
> information that deals with this issue so that my library can settle it
> one way or the other?
>
> Great thanks in advance for any suggestions or help anyone can provide.
>
> Megan M. Isely
> Head of Special Projects
> Aurora Public Library, Aurora, IL
> apl-ill at dupagels.lib.il.us

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine