[WEB4LIB] Creating an icon

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Jun 21 09:53:03 EDT 1999

I've done what David Merchant has mentioned doing and the usual image
size is either 16x16 or 32x32 pixels.  You can create a bitmap image
like this and rename it with the .ico extension.  I think that Chris
Gray is also correct in that with specific icon editing programs you can
create one .ico image that includes at least four different icons.  I've
brought up a .ico file in iview32 (a freeware graphics simple
manipulation program) using drag and drop and a sub menu came up to
choose to display a 32x32 16 color or 256 color or 16x16 16 color or 256
color image.  If you want just one image in your .ico file ms paintbrush
will do the job.  For Windows 95 you can use a 16x16 or 32x32 pixel
image.

Thomas

Catherine Buck Morgan wrote:

> We would like to create an icon from the logo for a statewide library
> project that would sit on a desktop and link to the project's webpage.
> I'd like some information about doing this... is it as simple as
> creating a gif or jpeg and giving it an .ico extension? I'm at a loss
> here. Thanks!
> --
> Catherine Buck Morgan
> Automation Librarian
> South Carolina State Library
> EMAIL: catherine at leo.scsl.state.sc.us
> Phone: 803.734.8666 Fax 803.734.8676
> Home page: http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/
> Web catalog: http://www.state.sc.us/scsl/scslweb/welcome.html
>
> The opinions stated herein are not necessarily those of SCSL.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine