celeron, pentium...and AMD K6

CharmngDyk at aol.com CharmngDyk at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 16:50:35 EDT 1999

Hi,
        i am in an MLIS program, and dont know much about the list protocol,
so bear with me.  i was wondering about the celeron vs pentium discussion.
why no mention of the AMD K6-2 chip?  the mother boards are pentium, and all
else is compatible.  AMD is *cheaper* and very reliable.  is there a reason
for not considering the AMD that i am unaware of?  i have no experience in
deciding on this kind of thing, and would like to know just out of curiosity.
 I have had the AMD K6,  and just recently went to the K6-2 now very pleased
with the AMD K6-II.  most of the computer stations at the library i worked
for were pentiums.  one of the techs did say that he thought the AMD was a
very good choice.  i bought a celeron, and returned it only to go back to the
AMD.  AMD has a K6-3 out now, but i went with the K6-2 for economic reasons.
i know personal computing needs are different than a large work-station area,
but i was wondering why no mention of the AMD came up. please, give me your
feedback on this.  thank you, Gail