Use of the flashpix format

Carl Snow csnow at purdue.edu
Wed Jun 16 20:47:00 EDT 1999

I am looking into delivering multi-resolution images via the WWW.  I am aware that the Library of Congress is using MrSID to handle their map publication.  I am also aware of FlashPIX a format that is backed by Kodak, HP, Microsoft and others.  It is rumored that FlashPIX will be made part of the JPEG2000 standard.  Since it appears that FlashPix has strong corprate backing and may be included in an international standard I am interested finding out more about it.  I have reviewed a number of Web pages covering the standard but I have not seen any libraries that are using the format.  Has anyone looked into this format?  Is anyone using it?

Thanks,
Carl Snow
Network Access Librarian
Purdue University Libraries