Weird PC/WinU/WinSelect problem...

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Wed Jun 16 19:57:25 EDT 1999

All,

I am hoping that someone out here in web4lib land has seen this, and can
point me in the correct direction for a fix.

I am running PCs with Windows 95 / 98, Netscape Nav Standalone 4.05, WinU
4.3C, and WinSelect Kiosk and Policy 3.31 .

WinSelect K & P is configured to disallow access to the desktop, icons, A:
and C: drive, as well as many functions within Netscape (Security, Print
Setup).

WinU is set to run in CASUAL security mode, no window control, no file
control, no catching of any keys, but simply as a "menu" to launch
Netscape, and warn / time it out after 30 minutes.

The problem is that randomly, this combination produces a locked machine
that is:
1) in Netscape, usually with more than enough time left (I've seen it
   happen 2 minutes into a 30 minute session),
2) a mouse pointer that moves, but doesn't change when rolled over links,
3) dead keyboard (including Control-Alt-Delete)
4) the outline of the 5 WinU buttons superimposed on the Netscape screen.

Has anyone here ran into this in "Real Life"?  I think it is strangly
humorous to have an alpha-test machine that I have personally beat upon
and tested with for a LONG time, and within 2 days of me opening it up to
the public, this happens...  And, a staff person saw it happen, and said
the user wasn't even touching the computer at the time!!!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I _have_ already contacted Technical
Supports for both WinU and WinSelect, and am trying to isolate which
program (if not the combination) is causing the problem, but removing 1/2
of the security is problematic in keeping the PCs secure.  And since it is
random.....

Thank You.

James Cayz