[WEB4LIB] Re: Outgoing Security

Charles F. Bearden cbearden at ruf.rice.edu
Tue Jun 15 18:05:36 EDT 1999

> On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Paul H. Gray wrote:

> > Dan and Bill make VERY valid points as always -- and points I have made
> > myself.
> > Yes -- I KNOW the only way to be able to PROVE a patron has agreed to your
> > policies is to have them physically sign some sort of registration card and
> > then allow only 'registered' users on the stations.
> >
> > Unfortunately - this option has been ruled out by those who make the
> > decisions.  In short - they consider this sort of verification a need --
> > but not ENOUGH of a need to invest any staff time in.
> > So -- the ball is in my court - and we are back to the original question -
> > How can it be done.
> >
> > BTW -
> > I am running NT Workstation 4.0 SP4 with Netscape Navigator 4.08 loaded on
> > each individual station -- if that helps (or hurts) to know.
> >
> > If anyone knows of a different listserve - maybe one focused on NT or
> > Netscape where this question would be more appropriate - please let me know.
> > Thanks again.
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Paul H. Gray
> > Learning Resources Manager
> > TCC Northeast Campus Library
> > Hurst, TX 76054
> > 817-515-6623

Another route mentioned in years past was to use the Flute macro
language to script timeouts and other desktop events in the Windows
environment.  You could do a search on 'flute' in the web4lib archive
for 1996.  Or, the web4lib Reference Center links to the chief
article on the topic at:

  http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9602/0014.html

I've never used Flute, and it's clear from the script given that it
does require some programming ability.  It looks like it would give
you some useful options, however.

As for a listserv, there is libnt-l.  Subscription instructions can
be found at:
  http://www.civiltrial.com/internet/paml/groups.L/libnt-l.html

Chuck
 Chuck Bearden                                      cbearden at rice.edu
 Electronic Resources Librarian
 Fondren Library--MS44                           713 / 527-8101 x3634
 Rice University                                 713 / 737-5859 (fax)
 P.O. Box 1892
 Houston, TX 77251-1892