[WEB4LIB] Can printing from a website be limited?

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Jun 14 23:41:45 EDT 1999

Greg can correct me if I'm wrong but I think his question is from the
end-user viewpoint:

"Why is this page not printing and is the site that it is coming from
somehow able to restrict the ability to print the page?"

I've occasionally run into this situation myself and it most often happens
with pages created on the fly using CGI or a related method.  Apparently,
this prevents the browser from capturing the page for printing.  Also, a
"page" in a java application often can not be printed.  If you have screen
capture software, you can probably capture the image of the page although
this is impractical for anything other than occasional use.

Netscape versions 3 and 4 can be configured to force black text in
printing.  Go to File -- Page Setup -- select Black Text.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI