[WEB4LIB] Can printing from a website be limited?

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Mon Jun 14 22:27:34 EDT 1999

At 04:49 PM 6/14/99 -0700, gbarkovi at sfu.ca wrote:
>We are wondering if, for copyright or other reasons, printing from a
>website can be technically limited or restricted?

Contents of a web page is in your machine's cache, thus you can only apply
local control to printing.

>  I presume that whatever can be displayed on somebody's pc can at least
> be printed by screen capture programs.

You could restrict printing from the browser, by login or keycards, etc.

>  Although I have had patrons ask why certain sites are not printing out.
> I have presumed that it is often because of the color layout - usually a
> dark/black background. Whether this is intended to restrict printing or
> not, I am not sure.

If you print white text on white paper, well.....it is really hard to
read.  Netscape is troublesome in this way.  Yellow or other light colors
present the same problem.  But if you use MSIE instead of Netscape, you'll
get printing of black, regardless of font color.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165