[WEB4LIB] Outgoing Security

Paul H. Gray phgray at tcjc.cc.tx.us
Mon Jun 14 19:11:39 EDT 1999

>. . .
>Instead of technological, why not doing something more simple? How about a
>sign at the top of the computer monitor
>. . .
>You'll still have the "hot seat" problem, even if you do this.  And people
>will validly say that they didn't know.
>. . .

Dan and Bill make VERY valid points as always -- and points I have made
myself.
Yes -- I KNOW the only way to be able to PROVE a patron has agreed to your
policies is to have them physically sign some sort of registration card and
then allow only 'registered' users on the stations.

Unfortunately - this option has been ruled out by those who make the
decisions.  In short - they consider this sort of verification a need --
but not ENOUGH of a need to invest any staff time in.
So -- the ball is in my court - and we are back to the original question -
How can it be done.

BTW -
I am running NT Workstation 4.0 SP4 with Netscape Navigator 4.08 loaded on
each individual station -- if that helps (or hurts) to know.

If anyone knows of a different listserve - maybe one focused on NT or
Netscape where this question would be more appropriate - please let me know.
Thanks again.
Thanks again

Paul H. Gray
Learning Resources Manager