Search engines and positronic brains

Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Mon Jun 7 21:52:15 EDT 1999

This made me curious how my favorite search engine, Alta Vista, would fare in
the Riverbank sweepstakes.

I did a simple search on "Riverbank Publications" (with quotes around the
phrase).
I got 8 hits. The first document returned was
http://www.rtcom.us-inc.com/ccb/ccb1.html
I went to it, did a Find On Page for riverbank, and was taken directly to a
clear summary of what the Riverbank Publications are, including which papers
were included in specific print volumes.

Next I searched on this question: What are the Riverbank Publications? (no
quotes)
I got 4,846,233 hits. The first screen seems to be mostly references to
rivers, plus a few links to plays, towns or companies with the word Riverbank
in their names.

Searching on Riverbank Publications, with no quotes, returns 2,962,075 hits.
The first page looks pretty much like the one I got when searching with a
question.

Jean Hewlett
North Bay Regional Campus Library, University of San Francisco
hewlett at usfca.edu