[WEB4LIB] Microsoft Access: a second try to get info.

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 4 13:43:51 EDT 1999

Yes, I agree with you on every point.  Alternative products (even if free)
entail other costs in time and effort to install, learn, and support.
Sometimes misuse of a hammer is the most economical course.  I began using
Access 97 for experiments with intranet dynamic database publishing since
we already have Win95 and Office97 installed on 100+ workstations.

But you are faced with the limitations of using a tool not fully adapted
to the task.  Access97 came out when Microsoft's enthusiasm for the Web
was a new thing and they were retrofitting everything using a wide variety
of technology much of which they subsequently stopped supporting.  So
Access's Web publishing capabilities have definite limits and so does the
Web and book literature on it.  The best treatment I know of is the
chapter in the Ashenfelter book I mentioned.

I've done some experimenting with the report publishing problem and I
can't find anything that works.  Reports in Access are definitely aimed at
being printed with Web publishing an afterthought.

Sorry I can't end your frustration,

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo