[WEB4LIB] Re: Browsers

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jun 4 11:24:25 EDT 1999

> There's also the Linux factor.  Linux is coming more to the fore.  Since
> IE won't run under Linux (Microsoft really just wishes that Linux would
> go away), such institutions have little reason to go with IE (at least
> exclusively).

There are communities within communities at Microsoft (and, I'm sure, at
any large corporation).  Some are suit communities, and some are hacker
communities; Microsoft hackers seem to find Linux as cool as do hackers
elsewhere.  The IE team is apparently one of the hackish groups, and there
have been a couple of reports that they're working on a Linux version of
IE.  Hey, it's already running on Solaris and HP-UX, so it isn't like
they'd have to start from scratch.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu