metadata: DC, MARC, and more

Scott Garrison garrison at duke.edu
Thu Jun 3 13:31:16 EDT 1999

Hello Web4Lib,

John Little posted a message in December that mentioned
the Dublin Core Implementation Survey.  My hope in sending this message
is to gather feedback from more recent Dublin Core (or other metadata
schema) implementers on the short list of survey questions below.  I agree
with John that we don't want to move backward; but having attended OCLC
Institute's metadata seminar, I wonder whether it's useful to include
metadata within the object being described, as well as the catalog, to
provide multiple points of access.  That notion raises a whole group of
issues, but having seen and worked with CORC at OCLC, it's just something I've
been thinking about.

My apologies if this survey overly redundant, and thanks in advance for
any info you may be able to provide.

This survey assumes that you use metadata on your Website.  If you don't,
there's no need to read further.

1.  Do you use Dublin Core, or your own homegrown metadata guidelines for
your Website's content?

2.  If you do use Dublin Core metadata, do you use all 15 elements, or
just a subset?

3.  Do you store your Dublin Core metadata within the object (i.e. in
<META> elements within your HTML) only, or do you also maintain it in a
separate database or catalog?

4.  If you use DC's subject element, do you use a standard controlled
vocabulary such as LCSH or MeSH, or rather a homegrown controlled vocabulary?

5.  Do you use CORC or other tools to convert your Dublin Core metadata to
MARC for inclusion in your catalog?

--SG

Scott Garrison, M.L.S. * Head, Systems Interface Services * DUMC Web Manager
 Duke University Medical Center Library * DUMC 3702 * Durham, NC 27710 USA
    vox:(919)660.1197 * fax:(919)681.7599 * Internet:garrison at duke.edu
       http://www.mc.duke.edu/mclibrary/ * http://www.mc.duke.edu/