Web Databases and Application Servers (Was: Microsoft Access)

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jun 3 12:31:21 EDT 1999

As long as we're getting into this sort of thing....

A good place to start are the articles in WebReview on Web databases and
application servers.

http://webreview.com/wr/pub/1999/02/26

The Web databases articles there are done by John Paul Ashenfelter who has
a good book (Choosing a Database for Your Web Site) out covering many of
the issues and comparing a lot of the software alternatives including
Access, FrontPage, ASP, ColdFusion, and much else.

ColdFusion is an application server with its own markup language to
supplement HTML.  There are open source free alternatives here.  Zope is
a Web application platform that runs both on Windows and UNIX.

http://www.zope.org/

php3 is also free and cross-platform.

http://www.php3.org/

These can all interface to various free or shareware databases.  The most
sophisticated one around is PostgreSQL.

http://postgresql.nextpath.com/

Chris Gray
Library Systems