[WEB4LIB] Re: The next 5 years

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Jun 3 11:51:37 EDT 1999

At 11:54 AM 6/2/99 -0700, Thomas Edelblute wrote:
>What we want is for Z39.50 to be used through the web browser so we can
>do
>broadcast searches with a group of other libraries instead of selecting
>Z39.50
>search for a particular library.  I want to see this happen five years
>out.

This is available now.  A couple of vendors have systems that do this to
varying degrees.  The LiLI-Z project in Idaho (Libraries Linking
Idaho--Z39.50 component) has an RFP on the street right now and we
anticipate bids from several vendors.  Web page interface to the public.  A
query from the web page will be sent to one or more Z39 servers and results
returned in a merged format on a web page.  There will be both the
opportunity to choose libraries, as well as some predetermined sets that
can be chosen with one click (i.e. Idaho public libraries, NW USA academic
libraries, Boise area libraries of all types, etc.).

I can provide more info if necessary.

>In my last job I was always hearing that a job well planned is a job
>half-done.

Well, that's an old chestnut that I don't buy.  I've seen waaaayyy too many
jobs that were well planned and never done.

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165