[WEB4LIB] Local search

Avi Rappoport avirr at LanMinds.Com
Thu Jun 3 03:08:46 EDT 1999

At 7:09 AM -0700 6/2/1999, Matthew Burrell wrote:

>I am looking for a search engine or bot that will search our library =
>pages. The archives seem to suggest Mata Hari, but although the price is =
>right, it looks very difficult for our patrons. Can anyone point me in =
>the right direction?  Our sys tech cannot get MS FrontPage functions to =
>work on WinNT. (This, by the way, leaves us without forms, discussions, =
>or search capabilities). :(  Thanks.

I have a whole list of site search engines, along with introductory
info, news and related topics at <http://www.searchtools.com/>.
Many are free, and others are very cheap.

As Tara says, the remote search services are by far the easiest,
though I'd recommend finding one that offers the "no-ads" version for
a monthly fee, such as SearchButton or PicoSearch.  I think there are
ethical problems with having library sites supported by advertising,
as users are something of a captive audience.

Best of luck,

Avi