[WEB4LIB] Re: The next 5 years

Peter Schlumpf schlumpf at nslsilus.org
Wed Jun 2 23:22:35 EDT 1999

I don't think one can predict "e-trends" in any meaningful or useful way at all
for a period of 5 years.  If you had asked the question, say, in 1991 the reality
we live in today bears little resemblence to any of the answers you would have
gotten from any "expert panels" of the time.  No one had predicted whathad become
of the Internet in 1996 and by extention today.  Important innovation so often
takes place in obscurity in most unlikely places.  Technologies and whole
industries that we will take for granted five years from now are probably taking
shape today in somebody's garage, apartment bedroom, or graduate thesis project.

Peter Schlumpf
schlumpf at nslsilus.org