[WEB4LIB] Registering IP Addresses & Domain Names (How to)

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Jun 1 19:26:28 EDT 1999

At 03:32 PM 6/1/99 -0700, Michael Sauers wrote:
>What I'm looking for are documents that describe the registration process
>for both numbers and names.  All I can seem to find are docs that say "have
>your IP do it" or the actual NetworkSolutions forms that are either overkill
>and/or too technical for non-administrators.

They say that because they're right.  I doubt that any/many of your folks
in those classes are really wanting to register their own ip numbers.  And,
most ISPs provide simple web based forms to handle the domain name
registration.  The NS forms are "too technical" because they have to
be.  You must be able to provide working primary and secondary DNS servers,
for example.  For that you need the cooperation of someone who has DNS
servers, whether your ISP, your university or city network admins, etc.

Even the folks who register domain names on speculation pay ISPs to handle
DNS on their non-functional domains....often called a "parking fee" of a
couple bucks a month per domain.

Two examples of functional domains are pasted below.

Registrant: Dan Lester (84-N-DOM) 3577 E. Pecan Boise, ID 83705-7115
Domain Name: 84.COM
Administrative Contact: Lester, Daniel W (DWL35) dan at MICRON.NET 208 383-0165
Technical Contact, Zone Contact: Leach, David L (DL85) dleach at MICRON.NET
208-368-5336 (FAX) 208-342-3209
Billing Contact: Lester, Daniel W (DWL35) dan at MICRON.NET 208 383-0165
Record last updated on 04-Feb-99.
Record created on 12-Mar-96.
Database last updated on 31-May-99 08:36:50 EDT.
Domain servers in listed order:
NS3.MICRON.NET 198.60.253.134
NS4.MICRON.NET 204.134.214.5

and

Registrant: Boise State University (LILI3-DOM) 1910 University Dr., B116
Boise, ID 83725
Domain Name: LILI.ORG
Administrative Contact: Hurst, Christine (CH593) DUSHURST at BSU.IDBSU.EDU
(208) 426-1295
Technical Contact, Zone Contact: Lester, Dan (DL1054) dan at MICRON.NET
208-426-1235
Billing Contact: Lester, Dan (DL1054) dan at MICRON.NET 208-426-1235
Record last updated on 15-Jan-99.
Record created on 05-May-97.
Database last updated on 31-May-99 08:36:50 EDT.
Domain servers in listed order:
EUSKADI.IDBSU.EDU 132.178.16.3
DIAMOND.IDBSU.EDU 132.178.200.127

cheers

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165