[WEB4LIB] CD tower

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Jun 1 14:23:04 EDT 1999

It sounds like you only have one SCSI card and it is my understanding
that a SCSI card will only support 7 devices.  I have a 28CD tower that
uses 4 cards on the computer and I have two use two SCSI cards on a
backup NT server to handle a tower of 14 CDs.  Your previous system may
have had special software to work with Netware and one card.

"Gary E. Masters" wrote:

> We are trying to put our CD tower (Procom) on a Gov Docs. workstation since
> we don't use it with the server and we have several CD's that we get from
> the government.  The problem is that Windows will recognize only seven of
> the 21 drives.  All 21 are recognized when the unit boots up, but somewhere
> after that they are lost.  Our first software was a product called Opti-Net
> and it worked directly with NetWare.  Is there a way to use it with
> Windows?  Or is there any share ware out there that does that?  When we try
> to get to the "missing" drives in DOS, we get a system crash.  Procom told
> us to use a different SCSI card, but we have not been able to try that
> option.  We have an Adaptec card now.  We fixed a pushed back pin on the
> middle LUN unit and that fixed it.  Before then we could see only 14 of 21
> when we booted.
>
> Our tower is out of warranty.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Masters
>
> Gary E. Masters
> Automated Services Librarian
> Texas A&M International University
> (956) 326-2137 (voice)
> (956) 326-2399 (fax)

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine