[WEB4LIB] VT terminal migration to PC's

Brian Williams brianw at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Tue Jun 1 13:53:57 EDT 1999

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Sandra L. Eckert wrote:

> Riverside Public Library is looking for experiences, information, or
> advice that any of you would like to share. The Library is currently in
> the process of putting together a technology plan that will encompass
> the migration of our VT terminals to PC's for access to WEB2 (DRA).
> There are many facets to this plan that need consideration included
> upgraded wiring and cabling for a 60's era building.
>
> These are the issues the Library is currently looking at:
> 	1. thin clients vs Pentium II or III

I think thin clients are worth watching, but we are buying Pentium III's
for the public at this point, still.

> 	2. lease vs purchase of PC's, equipment

We are purchasing equipment on a 3 or 4 year cycle with a 3 year on site
maintenance. Always interested in lease details, but have not found them
that attractive yet.

> 	3. cat 5 or better

Cat 5 is good to fairly high speeds.

> 	4. 10/100 NIC

Definately plan on 100 mb to the machines. That effects your choice of
switch more than anything.

> 	5. download options for PC's or thin clients

We put an external super drive on the parallel ports of the new machines
we put out for the public to download to. That way they have the higher
density if they can use it at home.

> 	6. antivirus and security software

We have had very few problems with viruses on our public machines. We lock
down the NT os with registry changes.

> 	7. power - as in electricity for a 60's era building

New power is good with conditioning on the panel.

> 	8. training
> 	9. physical security of equipment

We run a little security cable through an "eye" that we glue onto the pc's
and floppy drives and then cable clamp the ends together under the tables.
Unfortunately, we have had stuff stolen.

> Riverside Public Library is also looking to upgrade the four client
> (486's) LAN system that runs with a 486 server, 2x CD towers, Win 3.11,
> and Novell 4.  This system provides much needed reference from purchased
> databases. Most, if not all, of the databases are available via Web. One
> of the most used databases, American Business Disk, will no longer be
> available in DOS format as of this fall. The upgrade for the LAN will
> probably take place sooner that the above mentioned technology plan but
> should fold in smoothly. Did I mention limited staff and funding?

IMHO, put in an NT server for this with the cd titles, if there any left,
written to the hard drives of the server.

Brian Williams			brianw at multnomah.lib.or.us
Automation Manager	  	5032044627 at mobile.att.net (pager)
Multnomah County Library	 (503) 248-5227 (v)
801 SW 10th  Portland, OR 97205  (503) 248-5226 (f)