[WEB4LIB] Re: Reporting web statistics

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Tue Jun 22 15:26:26 EDT 1999

At 10:58 AM 6/22/99 -0700, John Little wrote:
>  It's not helped by statistics programs which claim to calculate things
>which cannot really be calculated, only estimated, with varying degrees of
>accuracy. The simple fact is that certain data which we would like to know
>and which we expect to know are simply not available.

This is true, of course, but also true of almost every other statistic that
is collected by librarians to "show their worth" or to appease their
bosses.  Yes, we know pretty well how many books the library owns.  But
what does that mean?  Not much.  Others such as door counts, reference
transactions, items circulated, and so forth may have marginal value for
planning of staffing needs, but certainly don't tell anything about the
value or utility of the library.

And the same is true of any web stats we obtain, though they may indeed
help us personally by making our bosses happy with us.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165