[WEB4LIB] Gathering Statistics

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Thu Jun 17 14:45:54 EDT 1999

At 11:03 AM 6/17/99 -0700, Susan Thompson wrote:
>I would appreciate hearing how other libraries gather statistics from
>their Web
>pages. Specifically, we need to count each time a user accesses one of our
>online databases from our Web site. Thanks.

First, the vendors should provide you with those statistics.

Second, we count our in-library uses of them via our proxy server logs and
analysis thereon.

Third, we count our remote authenticated accesses via the log from the
authentication script.

We don't have any way of capturing the stats for those who access them from
outside of the library but on campus.  But, again, the vendors' stats give
the best picture, with the caveat that some vendors' stats are pretty
miserable.

dan

--
Good, Fast, and Cheap: Which two of the three would you like?
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716 USA 208-383-0165