Centurion Guard

Rosalind Tedford tedforrl at wfu.edu
Tue Jul 27 11:31:28 EDT 1999

A couple of weeks ago someone posted information about the hardware
product Centurion Guard, but had not tested it. We tested it last week
for possible use in our computer lab here in the Information Technology
Center. It is a miraculous thing for those of us who have been wrestling
with maintain loads on lab machines.

You install the hardware piece inside the machine on the floppy cable,
and plug it in to the internal power source (extension cables are
included for both in case you do not have extra slots inside). A locking
device then extends out the back of your machine through one of the
empty slots.

A simple-to-install software program comes with it (DOS based, but easy
to figure out).

The joy of this product is that when activated using the lock,
absolutely no changes that are made to the computer stick. When you
reboot, your original settings are restored. We deleted programs,
drivers, even the software that runs the unit and all was restored on
reboot. When it is disabled - again using the lock, you can make
whatever
changes you wish and then reactivate it by turning the key again.

Anyone out there who struggles with users manipulating your software,
storing files on your machines or loading unwanted software should
really look into this.

The website is http://www.centuriontech.com/

They will send you a test unit if requested before you order for a whole
lab.
--
Rosalind Tedford
tedforrl at wfu.edu