[WEB4LIB] Data Recovery

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu
Mon Jul 26 17:03:33 EDT 1999

	Angela - try installing the hard drive as a slave drive on another
machine. You generally have to move a jumper or something to tell the drive
not to expect to boot, then it goes on the same ribbon cable that your
'master' hard drive is on. When the master HD boots, it activates the slave
HD as well. If this works you can just use the bad drive as extra space
indefinitely, although I'd avoid using it for crucial data.

At 01:20 PM 7/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a dead hard drive on my hands that will not boot with a boot
>disk.  We need to get the information off of it.  I am thinking about
>the option of a data recovery service.  Does anyone know of a good one
>around the SF Bay area and do they work?
>

>Thanks a bunch.
>
>Angela Kirchner

Steve Hooley - Technician
Zach S. Henderson Library
Georgia Southern University
 http://www2.gasou.edu/facstaff/hooleyss 'My World'
 http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/LRA 'Vampire Scholarship'
"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be
 drab places where people sit in silence, and that's
 been the main reason for our policy of employing
 wild animals as librarians."  --Monty Python