[WEB4LIB] policing Internet usage

Christopher Jackson cjackson at monroe.lib.in.us
Wed Jul 21 14:58:42 EDT 1999

We're a very small branch library with only 3 Net terminals.  Our method
works quite well for us, but I'm not sure how it would scale up.

We use a self-signup procedure.  Each net terminal has a small clipboard
with a sheet of paper that reads:

INTERNET TERMINAL SIGN-UP

*Sign up for one 1/2 hour period
*After completing 1/2 hour of use, you may sign up
for a second 1/2 hour behind anyone who is waiting
*Total daily use is 1 hour
*Make sure your signup reflects the time you actually start

Initials:          Time:

__________         _________

__________         _________

[There are enough lines for an entire day's worth of sign-up.]

The system is designed so that patrons themselves regulate it.  Staff
usually aren't involved in the process.

Of course it's far from perfect, and we do need to step in to mediate
disputes, enforce the limit, and deal with people who forgot to sign in,
or, in the case of one particular person, who put down the wrong time
intentionally.

But despite these flaws, it's the best system we know of.

Chris

    Christopher Jackson                    cjackson at monroe.lib.in.us
    Reference/Automation Librarian         voice: (812) 876-1272
    Monroe County Public Library           fax: (812) 876-2515
    Ellettsville, IN  47429                http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/