[WEB4LIB] RE: watchdog system recovery c

Deanna Collison collisod at uhls.lib.ny.us
Tue Jul 20 14:37:15 EDT 1999

We downloaded Watchdog and tried using it on a Public Internet station
to time the patron out. We wanted it to be activated from the moment the
browser opened, but the way it's configured straight up only allowed the
time-out to be set to shut down, say, every half hour, and reboot. I was
thinking some sort of macro or batch file might make it do what we
wanted, but I didn't have the time or expertise to get into it.
Keeping the public out of places they shouldn't be in a PC has been a
more daunting task than I originally thought.
We have tried Fortres, CybraryN, WatchDog, kiosk mode in Netscape, and
using a bogus proxy server to limit the
URL's that can be accessed online through a database (non-internet) PC.
We are constantly looking for new solutions and ideas, but eventually
see the movement to NT as a natural step. A 'total' security solution is
better than a bunch of third party applications thrown together.

Good Luck, Deanna