Authentication Scripts, Tricks and Traps

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jul 13 08:34:35 EDT 1999

Hi, for my next column in American Libraries, I am doing an overview of
current authentication technologies.  Part of me wishes I had a Real Audio
of the LITA IG on this topic held at ALA Annual I could turn over to my
editor with the comment, "they post for me" (with additional voice-over by
Tim Kambitsch), but failing that...

1) I would like to hear from libraries that have developed (and by
inference also rejected) solutions for allowing patrons to log in to
subscription databases and other "premium" or limited-access resources, or
for authenticating patrons per se for using Internet workstations

2) I'd like to hear some of the constraints libraries considered when they
developed this access--e.g. were they concerned about lower-end browsers,
visually-challenged users, etc., and how did this affect their decisions

3)  I'd like to hear from libraries using canned commercial solutions such
as Obvia, and also from libraries that have authentication routines tied in
to the IOLS patron database

4) I'm interested in what libraries do to balance access, accountability
and privacy

5) Painful war stories, lessons-learned, and heart-warming anecdotes are
always welcome

I promise full attribution for those who want to be quoted, and
confidentiality for those who think discretion is the better part of valor!
Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997
Director, Brunswick Community Library [Formerly Garfield]
http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/garfield/