News Factoids?

John Iliff jiliff at hrlibrary.com
Sat Jul 10 18:09:45 EDT 1999

I have a personal Web space I've been playing around with.
It's mainly a place I use to run through JavaScript, CGI stuff, and
lately PHP3. One of my "play" scripts is a random pop-up box generator
that I hobbled together from several sources. It's JavaScript-
so it won't work in older browsers, but it does retroact fairly well.
With this script, I've been presenting little random news bytes
(primarily from foreign newspapers and govt. sources.) It's trivia
that tickles my fancy, all activated with a mouse click.

Today, I struck upon this idea. There are currently eight of these
news stories, and I plan to provide a new one each week to replace
the older ones (thus they'll cycle in eight week intervals.) If anyone
in the library world is interested I'll be glad to send you the updated
stories each week as well as share the code. Consider this a bit of
content to add to your Web sites, intranets, or extranets. I'll be
glad to help anyone with configuration. It's very easy to implement.

My motivation? First, I think it'd be fun. Also, I am working for
the private sector now, after ten years in "regular" library work,
and I miss the contact with other libs. Also, I know if any librarians
out there use this script, the work will be improved considerably by
suggestions from my colleagues. No one judges Web resources better than
librarians, imho.

To see how the Random News Factoids work go to: http://207.69.70.23  -
you'll see the option to start the random news factoids. Because each
box generated is done so randomly, some of the stories will repeat before
unviewed ones have appeared. I like this, the randomness of the process.
It's the math in the code that causes this to happen. Also, sometimes
the boxes, like any page on the Internet, take a little while to load.
It's the nature of the medium.

Please contact me if you have questions, comments, absolute distaste
for this idea, or want the code and the weekly news factoids.

Thanks,

John Iliff
on Coquina Key
4307 Tarpon Drive Southeast