HTML in Russian

Julianne Mangin jmangin at loc.gov
Thu Jul 8 12:08:29 EDT 1999

I'm going to answer my own question.  I've got a page up at:

	http://lcweb.loc.gov/rlp/libraryruss.html

I started with a WordPerfect document that used the ER Bukinist 1251 font,
and saved it as ANSI Windows text with a file extension of .html.  Then I
opened it up in my HTML editor (HTML Assistant Pro 97) and marked it up in
HTML.  I used the following meta tag:

	<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
	charset=windows-1251">

It seems to work.  If anyone on the list can read Russian, and would be
willing to look at it, I'd appreciate it if I could hear from anyone who
doesn't get an appropriate display of the text.

Thanks!

Julie Mangin                                    Internet:jmangin at loc.gov
Senior Network Systems Research Analyst         Telephone:202-707-1144
Network Development & MARC Standards Office
Library of Congress
Washington, D.C.  20540