[WEB4LIB] Wide messages?

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Mon Jul 5 09:27:38 EDT 1999

>From my experience it seems that this is an email client problem in that
programs like Netscape Messenger, Pegasus, and MS Exchange/Outlook send
email with no returns.  Unix programs like elm and pine send email with
linefeeds.  You can set Pegasus and Messenger, as pointed out by Heather
Dabel, to wrap messages and the same is probably true in the MS
programs.  I don't think you can set elm or pine (or any of those other
trees) to wrap email messages, so you get that one long line of text.  I
doubt anyone is going to change their habits with Messenger or MS email
so an alternative would be to save the email to a file and read it in an
editor that wraps text or open the email in a client that wraps
messages.  There are versions of messenger for most major OSs.  I'd be
interested to know which client and OS you are using to read the
messages.  This message is probably one long line in that client because
it is composed in Netscape Messenger.

Thomas

"Gary E. Masters" wrote:

> Some of the messages are really very wide.  Is thais a fault of the
> system or is it because some expect automatic return on their email
> program - and don't have it?
>
> I don't want to point out individuals, but a way around it would mae the
> mail easier to read.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary Masters

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  828 262 6587			FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine