[WEB4LIB] Flash and Fireworks-worth getting? hard to use?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Jul 30 14:26:43 EDT 1999

With all due respect to people using these techniques, they do not make a
web site appear to be current.  Using them just to use them makes a web
site appear to be a wannabe.  (Wannabe what, exactly, I've never been
sure.)

DHTML--and scripting in general--is valuable...IF you have a real need for
it and IF you put in the effort to make it browser-independent, and IF you
make the necessary allowances for surfing without scripting.

Layers, in the sense of CSS2 z-ordering, are still too far off in the
future.  Layers, in the sense of Netscape's proprietary <LAYER> tag, is a
moribund hack that even Netscape has distanced itself from.

Animation is an express route to user annoyance.

Anything that requires a plug-in, like Flash, requires a serious reason
for being there.

Client-side imagemaps are neither new nor particularly difficult.  Making
them better, for most site, really means getting a more attractive image
to build them around.  Fireworks is one of a number of products that can
help with that job.  Make sure you add ALT text to every <AREA> element.

If you really want a cutting-edge appearance to your site, make it clean,
fast, and totally consistent, within each page and from one page to
another; use a small number of graphics, but make them really good
graphics; use a carefully designed site-wide stylesheet; validate your
markup; and stay focused on that content.

Thomas ("In My Humble Opinion") Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu