Look Ma! No Short Cut Keys!

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Jul 28 13:50:06 EDT 1999

The most common request I hear about running Netscape Navigator in "Kiosk"
mode is:

"How do I disable the short cut keys?"

Well, there are a couple of ways to disable the short cut keys, one that's
involved and cost you dollars and one that is simple and free!  I've finally
put together a how-to guide that explains how to disable the short cut keys
in Netscape Navigator.  Thanks to Robert Tiess for providing the information
on how to make this possible.  This help page is at:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/shortcut.htm

It is designed to be used in conjunction with the "kiosk" help page at:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/kiosk.htm

You can also combine this with the "super kiosk" mode to run your browser
with maximum security against patron tampering.  My help pages explain how,
at no cost, to create a browser that:
*  Disables short cut keys so that patrons can not use CTRL-O to open other
sites [if you have removed the location bar in kiosk mode] or other keys to
access functions that have been hidden by removing the file menu in kiosk
mode [including the exit short cuts].
*  Prevent access to the Netscape preferences and other file menus [when
running in kiosk and super kiosk modes]
*  Prevent patrons from exiting Netscape with a mouse click [running in
super kiosk mode]
*  Prevent patrons from accessing sites outside those designated by you
[lock-in by IP method]
*  Disable the search button
*  Automatically clear the location bar and history

See the entire list at:

http://northville.lib.mi.us/tech/kiosk.htm

As always, if you have questions or comments, let me know!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI