synchronous communications with remote users

Bill Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Wed Jul 14 10:36:33 EDT 1999

I asked this question several months ago but did not receive any really
useful responses.  We are looking for a means to provide synchronous (live
two way ) communications between remote users of our library services and
our reference desk.
The reference desk currently has a IBM Thinkpad laptop as its computer.  It
will have the Microsoft Personal Web Server mounted on it for use with
FrontPage 98.  Can anyone suggest software that would work through a webpage
so that the remote user would not be required to load any special software?

I am currently trying to get Marc Bracewell's old program TalkBack to work
with the Personal Web Server.  I have been unable to get it to work in a
Windows 95 environment.  It did work when we had Windows 3.1 running
ZBServer webserver but Win 3.1 and the old computer it ran on are
insufficient for our present needs.  I am also looking at ICQ because its
panels can be used via a webpage but I would prefer something that would
rely solely on our system and not another.  I know I could set up a chat
room but find that environment too restrictive and it also requires constant
monitoring.

Preferably I would like to see the patron send a message via web form to the
reference laptop. Up would pop the communications program or window paging
the reference librarian.  The librarian would then reply and the remote user
would get a response through the browser.  This is what happened when we
used TalkBack three years ago.

Thanks.  Please don't send me messages asking to forward results to you.  I
will summarize via the lists.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
Past President, SUNY Librarians Association (SUNYLA)
E-mail: drewwe at morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Voicemail:877-324-6289 Box # 607400110 (Toll Free)
Homepage: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/>
Not Just Cows: <http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/>
LibraryLinks: <http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/>
SUNYLA: <http://www.albany.edu/library/sunyla/>