[WEB4LIB] WAN question

sean dreilinger sean at savvysearch.com
Wed Jul 14 05:35:20 EDT 1999

Steve Scarbrough wrote:
> My problem is that I need to monitor the 27 routers on the Network in
> real time. I would also like to be able to monitor the T-1 lines for
> bandwidth usage, transmission speeds, etc.
> Does anyone have a similar project and knowledge or experience with a
> software package that would fill the bill?

yes. if you want excellent, simple, Free/open-source ware that handles all
of the above, you might look into the combination of:

	ucd-snmp (uc davis simple network management protocol)
	mrtg     (multi router traffic grapher)

nb mrtg now has a threshold setting, so you can set a pager alarm or
attempt automated correction efforts anytime a threshold is exceeded. when
you get bored graphing the bandwidth / capacity; you can set it to chart
just about anything else over time, from web hits/bytes to terminal users
to cpu/memory/disk use on servers, etc. etc.Steve

  http://www.mrtg.org/
  http://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/

btw at least one company i know of uses mrtg to monitor their HP openview
service :-)

--sean

--
mailto:sean at savvysearch.com                sean dreilinger, mlis