Directories of Campus Digital Collections

Jim Stemper stemp003 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Jan 13 11:33:41 EST 1999

Hello,

I'm forwarding this request from a colleague who does not subscribe to this
list.  If you have any input, please reply directly to her.  Thanks for
your help!

js

From: Jerilyn Veldof <jveldof at tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Directories of Campus Digital Collections

Hi folks -

I'm hoping that you can help point us to some directories of digital assets
or collections that faculty in your departments have home-grown to support
their teaching.

I'm working on a campus-wide committee that is very interested in seeing
these disparate collections brought together in a directory or catalog.
What's happening now, for example, is that one faculty will create a
digital photography collection to use in his courses that another faculty
in a different department could also use.  Neither know about each other!
If we had a web directory to these resources (and eventually a catalog
record in our OPAC) other faculty and students would not only know of their
existence, but could either access them from the network or at least know
where to go to get access or copies.

I know enough about metadata and faculty ownership issues to know that this
is a complex undertaking.  If we can even just get a pilot project going to
make this our niche on campus and then to test feasibility to make this
more wide-scale, that would be thrilling.

Have you done anything like this yet?  If so, would you send me a URL or
some information about what you've done?

Thanks!  I'll summarize and share with the list.

Jerilyn

Jerilyn R. Veldof
Distance Learning Instruction Librarian/Faculty Liaison
University of Minnesota Libraries
phone:  (612) 624-1529
fax:    (612) 626-9353
mailto:jveldof at tc.umn.edu
http://www.lib.umn.edu/dist/jveldof.html

"Avoid automating the past."  Gloria Gery