[WEB4LIB] Re:

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 31 16:59:39 EST 1999

For me, the breakthrough on electronic reserves came when I read a paper
from the the conference "The Universe at Your Fingertips: Continuing Web
Education", April 1997. It was by Phil Kesten, the principal of Docutek,
and his description of their product had me "running" to his Web site to
get more information, and shortly thereafter I "ran" to decision makers at
my library to get support for a pilot project. The rest, as they say, is
history. For the Fall 1997 semester, we had around 45,000 document views
(out of close to a quarter million hits) for maybe a couple dozen courses.
At that point it was still in a limited test. Now we are starting to roll
it out to everyone. All those involved think it is a great solution --
even, somewhat to our surprise (since faculty are responsible for mounting
their own content), the faculty. Recently we responded to an ARL SPEC kit
survey on E-Reserves systems, so you may want to contact them about the
publication schedule for it.

The Docutek Web site is at:

http://www.docutek.com/

and our implementation of it is at:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/ERes/

Some courses are password-protected, others are not, so you may need to
poke around a bit to find one that's open.

Docutek has been incredibly responsive throughout. They worked with one of
our professors to incorporate a method to submit items via fax, which
greatly extends the reach of the system to faculty without scanners who
wish to mount hand-written materials. One time when we had a required
database file that became corrupted, Docutek staff logged into our system
and pieced the file back together for us. Their response has always been
speedy and effective.

But the bottom line is that this is a system we can live with. The Library
simply provides the infrastructure (storage, the Docutek software, a Web
server), creates and manages accounts, and publicizes and supports the
service. The faculty are then responsible for creating and managing their
own reserve materials.

One caveat is that this system works best for courses that do not require
placing entire books or other large masses of material online. But then,
that would be a drawback for any reserves system.

I have no connection with Docutek except as a satisfied customer, and one,
I might add, who is unspeakably happy to have such a simple and yet
elegant solution to what seemed at first to be a black hole for staff
time.
Roy Tennant