[WEB4LIB] Linking to numeric IP addresses vs. alpha in URLS

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Fri Jan 29 11:59:20 EST 1999

Stacy,

   Bob Jones has a good suggestion with the Hosts file.  Also, going ahead
with ip's as links is not a good resolution if you have vendors like some
of mine that change servers daily, you will have to edit links daily or
worse.  Normally vendors will use up to three different servers from what
I've seen so, if you use a secondary DNS server or a Hosts file you could
probably find out the three or so ips they use in short order.  Then just
add them  to your Hosts file or a second DNS server.  If you are using
Win95 clients you can add that DNS server to DNS search list.  A third
alternative might be to see if you can get permission use the DNS ip of
another institution or vendor close to you, I think this will work and just
add it to the DNS search list ( again, if you are using win9x).

Thomas