[WEB4LIB] PURLs - Do you use them?

Bigwood, David Bigwood at lpi.jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 29 09:50:34 EST 1999

Yes,  I'm using PURLs and find them handy, especially since OCLC has
recently included a validator.  GPO is using them as well and has set up
a PURL server for bib records they create.  So if you are getting
governments your catalog records will have PURLs instead of URLs.

I do have some problems with them.  I'm having a hard time getting
others to go in as maintainers with me.  In an ideal situation a subject
would be handled by a group interested in that field.  For example, I am
interested in planetary science.  I could join with others interested in
that topic such as folks at USGS, NASA, and universities to take care of
links for that topic.  The more people checking and correcting the PURL
the better.  Or it could be done by an area.  Houston could set up a
PURL server and the library, local universities and businesses could
collaborate in keeping the links for greater Houston current.

I have used PURLs created by others and if they do not work, then I'm at
the mercy of the other institution to fix the link.  As OCLC has the
site set up it is hard to find out just whom to contact.  Knowing the
link was created by the University of Chicago is not too useful, that is
a big place.  It would be nice if the PURL software provided some kind
of e-mail link to the PURL creator so one could point out broken links
or ask to become a joint maintainer.

The 1st problem can be resolved if more people become aware of just how
useful PURLs are and join together to make use of them.  The second
problem needs to be fixed by the folks at OCLC by adding some software
to the resolver.  In spite of these drawbacks I still find them better
than URLs and am using them and converting old URLs to PURLs as time
permits

If anyone is interested in becoming a joint maintainer for links in
planetary science just let me know.

Regards,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.jsc.nasa.gov