[WEB4LIB] RE: Why don't people use e-mail reference?

thom thom at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 27 13:17:03 EST 1999

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Hillary Theyer wrote:

> Has anyone considered the reference services built around e-mail?
> KidsConnect answers homework questions for kids with a promised two-day
> turnaround.  I volunteer, and it is a wonderful service!  Internet Public
> Library also answers reference questions by e-mail, and has helped me with
> absolute stumpers in the past.

I think these are all good ideas but imagine going into a library, asking
a question and waiting 2 days? It is a different service but probably has
to get a close as possible to real time to be viewed as real successful.
Wasn't there a weekend info service offered via phone in the Bay area
which gave fast turn around times?

--Thom