Illinois Digital Academic Library

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Jan 27 11:17:59 EST 1999

I want to call your attention to a project we're working on here in
Illinois.

The Illinois Digital Academic Library (IDAL) is a program proposed by
the Electronic Resources Committee of the Illinois Library Computer
Systems Organization (ILCSO). For the first year of the initiative (FY
2000) we are requesting $870,000 from the Illinois Board of Higher
Education (IBHE). The staff of the IBHE has recommended funding the
initiative, and the full Board of the IBHE has included a funding
recommendation in their FY 2000 higher education budget recommen-
dations to the Governor. If the Governor approves the recommendation,
the final allocation is up to the Illinois General Assembly.

The following is a capsule summary of the proposed IDAL initiative.
For the full proposal, go to: http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~sloan/idal.html.
If you have questions, feel free to contact me.

"The goal of the Illinois Digital Academic Library initiative is to provide
a digital library of full text and full image digitized resources for the
students, faculty and staff of Illinois institutions of higher education.
This particular initiative would be an integral part of a broader
information
infrastructure that has been developed by a number of sectors of the
Illinois library community, including the Illinois State Library, the
Illinois
regional library systems, and the Illinois Library Computer Systems
Organization (ILCSO). To be eligible for participation in the Illinois
Digital
Academic Library program, an institution must be accredited by the
Illinois Board of Higher Education, and the institution's library must be
a member of the Illinois Library and Information Network (ILLINET), an
organization consisting of more than 3,300 libraries in Illinois. In other
words, virtually all Illinois institutions of higher education would be
eligible to participate."

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone: (217) 333-4895